The castle passed to his daughter Helen who married James Henderson and it was inherited by Sir John Henderson of Fordell on her death. He was succeeded by his younger brother Sir Robert Bruce Henderson of Fordell and Earlshall who suffered financial misfortune and in 1824 was forced to sell Earlshall to Colonel Samuel Long of Bromley Hill in Kent. There is a wine store reached through one of the bedrooms. Recess with fitted glazed display cupboards and dumb waiter. Mary Queen of Scots Tradition has it that Sir William Bruce received Mary Queen of Scots at Earlshall in 1561 when she was a young girl of 19. There are an additional 19 acres of grazing behind the Comerton Farm buildings which are further up the lane jus t beyond the back drive.Later James VI of Scotland who became James I of England also visited. GENERAL REMARKSServices Mains water, mains electricity, private drainage to septic tank.Both monarchs would have ridden out from the royal palace of Falkland to enjoy the hunting on the lands of Earlshall. His grandson Alexander Bruce had his marriage to Euphemia Leslie commemorated on the granite fireplace in the Great Hall on which is carved their quartered coats of arms and initials. Sculptured head of Lorimer concealed behind panelling. Bedroom 3: Traditionally called Mary Queen of Scots Room. Heating / Hot Water Part oil-fired central heating and part electric heating Council Tax: Earlshall Castle is in Fife Council Tax band H, Dummy Daws is band D, The Gate House is band C, Lindsay's Cottage is band B. All electric Lorimer light fittings Square Footage: 8,398 sq ft Acreage: 53 Acres Directions From Cupar take the A91 towards St Andrews.Alexander also built the doocot (dove cot) which lies at the end of the lime tree walk - his initials and the date 1599 appear on a stone lintel on the west wide of the building. Both spiral stairs connect to: Long Gallery: Magnificent long room with coombed painted ceiling. Listings: Earlshall Castle and Doocot are listed Category A. At the Guardbridge roundabout turn left and take the A919 sign posted to Leuchars and Dundee.
He was the most notorious Baron of Earlshall and was known as the Bloody Bruce.
Colonel Long never lived in the castle which ceased to be a family home. The end bathroom has twin wash basins, a shower compartment, bath with glass surround and heated towel rails.
A family of farm workers occupied the castle during this period, no maintenance was carried out and it gradually slipped into a state of dereliction. PRINCIPAL FLOORFrom front door spiral stairs up to: Great Hall: Flagstone floor. Carved timber screen with Lorimer inscription to: Dining Room: Carved stone fireplace with inscription above.
An officer of Claverhouse's dragoons in the last quarter of the 17th century, he won the Battle of Killecrackie and earned his name in his brutal putting down of the Covenanters.
Ironically he became a Presbyterian himself prior to his death in 1696.